Breast cancer is one of the most common cancers. The earlier it gets detected, better are the chances of survival and you should make sure it is included in your health insurance.
What should you know about Breast Cancer?
Causes of Breast Cancer
As with other cancers, the exact cause is not known. However, there are a few risk factors which might increase your chances of succumbing to this condition.
- Older women are more prone to development of breast cancer.
- Breast cancer and ovarian cancer may be inherited if you carry the particular genes, BRCA1, BRCA2 and TP53.
- Dense breast tissue may be associated with the risk of development of breast cancer. However, this is not confirmed yet. Breast density is always higher when young and it reduces as the female ages but breast cancer is more common in older women so the likelihood of this happening is less. However, dense tissue can hide the lumps or tumor from being detected in the mammogram.
- Being over-weight after menopause increases estrogen levels in the body which may cause breast cancer.
- Hormonal treatments or use of birth control pills can also lead to development of cancer.