“Whatever can be put into your mouth can be put on your skin or hair.”
A great tip for reducing oil in your hair.
Soap nut is a fruit available in India. The fruit is crushed to make soap. It has a component called Saponins which is a natural surfactant. It is used in washing and cleaning purposes. You can use soap nuts to wash, practically, everything.
- Soap nuts are good for hair washing. They make your hair silky and smooth.
- You can put 4-5 soap nuts in a wash cloth and put it in the washing machine instead of a detergent. They would be enough for a 4-5 loads of clothes.
- They can be used for washing your utensils, jewelery, toilets, tiles and floors.
- You can clean your windows and furniture.
- You can spray them on your plants. It would keep the pests and insects away eliminating the need of any insecticide or pesticide.
Lip Balm is very important for taking care of your lips. As you use lotion or moisturizer for body and cold cream for face, lips also need to be moisturized. Today, I am posting a recipe for lip balm with sunscreen properties.
– 2 Vitamin E capsules
- Melt Vaseline / Petroleum Jelly / Beeswax / Shea Butter / Cocoa Butter in a double broiler ( put a pan inside a pan). The butters or the waxes would melt and becomes liquid. At this point, remove the heat. The present heat would be enough to make the balm. (I used a 25ml vaseline jar so the measurements are according to that quantity. Vary them according to the quantity you are using.)
- Pour 20 drops of sesame oil and 10 drops of coconut oil. Sesame oil and coconut oil have sunscreen properties. Sesame oil blocks 60% UV and coconut oil blocks 20% UV.
- Pour 5 drops of almond oil. Almond oil keeps your lips soft and moisturized for a long duration.
- Remove the container from the broiler or heat completely now.
- Prick two capsules of vitamin E and empty the contents into the container.
- Wait for three minutes (do not let it get too solid, just wait for it to cool down a little) and put 5 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Stir all the ingredients together. It will begin to solidify in a matter of 5 minutes. Leave the mixture for an hour to solidify properly and then scoop it out and store in a small glass jar.
- Do not use food flavorings because they irritate the skin and cause dryness.
- If your balm becomes too soft, add a bit more of vaseline / butters and if it is too hard, pour more of almond oil.
- For chocolate flavored lip balm, melt grated chocolate in the broiler along with the butters or jelly. Remove from heat and add oils. Mix all ingredients and your chocolate flavored lip balm is ready.
- You can put a tea spoon of honey into the mixture for a more glossy and sweet smelling balm.