Sleep is a naturally recurring state of relatively suspended sensory and motor activity, characterized by total or partial unconsciousness and the inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles. (Macmillan Dictionary for Students Macmillan)
It is a major misconception that our body is resting when we are asleep. It is, instead, performing the most basic functions of detoxification and rejuvenation so that we feel renewed when we get up from our sleep. According to this post, our body starts its detox process from 9 P.M and we are required not to perform any adrenalin raising activities from this time onwards. Instead, it is advised for us to rest from this time hence.
- One of the basic rules of sleeping is having a very light dinner, probably some soup and salads. You can try to manage your weight by following this routine. Having cabbage soup is the best way to cut down your belly fat. Salads ensure the health of your teeth. They do not overload the stomach. You should eat your dinner two hours prior to sleeping.
- Do not take any fluids in the mean time. But, if you must drink a cup of green tea one hour before sleeping. Reduce your water intake at night. You can refill your system in the morning. Taking fluids just before sleeping will interrupt your sleep.
- Take a warm and relaxing bath before having dinner, if you wish. It will also aid in good sleep. Finish your skin care routine during this time.
- 9 P.M onwards relax and do not indulge in any physical activity. Instead, listen to music, read, do little stretch exercises or light yoga, massage your scalp and face. These activities will help you get quality sleep. Do not watch television or browse internet. Take break and think about pleasant thoughts which make you happy and lift your spirits. Do not think about work next day and get stressed.
- Remember, your sleep should always be undisturbed at night. Exercise is one of the best ways to go for it. Make it a routine to exercise regularly. Half-hour a day is enough. Try to exercise in the early morning, instead of evening, as it freshens up your entire body inside out. You feel energized and eat more breakfast which goes well with the body.
- Do not take any stimulants (chocolates, sweets, coffee), carbohydrates or alcohol after 5 in evening. It interrupts your sleep mechanism.
- If you have to, take a half hour nap in afternoon at around 3. 2:30 – 3 P.M is the best time.
- Try not to sleep in the evenings. Go for a walk or indulge in socializing. But, not for long.
- Most importantly, create a routine and follow it. Sleep at same time everyday and get up at same time. Let your body be habituated to the routine.
- Take a warm shower. It helps you relax.
- Drink a glass of warm milk. It induces sleep and cleans bowels well next day. You can add a pinch of turmeric in it.
- Read a book. Not a novel, but a philosophical book which you can put down anytime.
- Do some stretching exercises.
- Listen to soft music at very low volume.
- Get a good scalp and body massage.
- Switch off all lights in the house. Do not let even a bed lamp on. If there is a light, put on a sleep mask.