Turmeric is an Indian spice which grows in the forests of South-East Asia. It belongs to the family of ginger and is used in the powdered form. It is one of the main ingredients of the Indian, Persian, Thai and Malay dishes. It is also used to impart a rich yellow color to the dishes.
Turmeric has many medicinal properties. It helps prevent cancer and cures skin disorders. It has many benefits for health:
- performs complete body detoxification
- has abundant anti-oxidants
- ease joint pains and inflammation associated with arthritis
- prevents premature aging
- prevents cancer
- protects liver health
- protects against heart attacks and strokes
- improves digestion power
- may prevent cataract and bacterial infections
- protects against severe cold
Apart from the above mentioned health benefits, it also has benefits for the skin:
- fights aging
- prevents skin disorders
- improves the skin complexion
- gets rid of facial or body hair
Home Remedies for Health care:
- A pinch of edible turmeric taken with milk every day provides the health benefits of turmeric. Alternatively, a turmeric stick can be boiled in milk and taken every night.
- Turmeric is also used as an antiseptic over cuts and wounds.
- If you have severe swelling due to sprain or any internal injury, you can mix turmeric with any bearably hot vegetable oil (preferably mustard oil) and apply over the swelled area and tie the area securely with a bandage. The swelling would come down in a day or two.
- If you have cold, you can put a pinch of turmeric in hot boiling water and inhale steam for at least 10 minutes.