Does Coconut Oil make the skin dark? {Your Opinion}

So, I was discussing this matter a few days back with my colleagues. One of the girls said that coconut oil makes the skin dark!! I was quite surprised because a long time back some body had said that besan (chickpea flour) also turns the skin dark!
I was pretty sure that this statement was equally a myth. But, then, I decided to google a bit on it. I did not really find any thing useful!! It just says that coconut oil is amazing for hair and skin and all. I have been using coconut oil for like, a month, now.
I mainly use coconut oil to remove the sunscreen from my face, neck and arms. I haven’t noted any discoloration or pigmentation recently. In fact, my skin has become more plump and more hydrated and my skin has started to glow.
When I had dry patches, I had hoped that coconut oil would be able to make it fine but that was something I could not achieve but then it was the product which was making the skin dry. Anyways, what do you think?

Related Posts:
What’s your spot of sunshine in the day?
Do you feel ticklish?
Do you like Dark Chocolates?

1. Coral Crue says

No, I really doubt that. My mom’s very fair and her grandma too and they’ve all been dunking coconut oil on themselves since they were kids, my aunt too…So it cannot make you dark, especially the pure kinds.

There was a time when I used virgin coconut oil daily to remove my makeup. It didn’t make my skin dark though.

But I can imagine how someone might think it can darken the skin. If they use it as a moisturizer during the daytime and forget to use sunblock… :D

I think if someone applies it & goes out in the sun maybe it makes one tan more, or maybe because of the oily texture it makes the skin “appear” dark coz the skin reflects light differently with oil on it..

I used to use coconut oil just around my mouth for a few years because that’s where I always used to get dry and now my skin is dark Just around the mouth….what do you think about that?

• vee says

You don’t have to use it in the sun to get darker. Coconut oil has something in it that absorbs UV rays. UV rays are in the air irrespective of whether there is sun or not. I used it and got darker. I’m a dark skinned woman. I think it has an effect on melanin. People who are fair and use it might not become darker. But it is true in my experience- it did make me darker (in the middle of winter).

hi Vee. yes, I think coconut oil has different effects on everyone! it probably depends on our melanin makeup and how susceptible the skin is to pigmentation.

4. Shoppingaholic says

No. I love coconut oil and I reach for it when nothing works on my skin. Coconut oil is also believed to be diminish the blemishes and has cooling effect. My dadi and nani sore by this oil when anyone got burnt.

Also, besan/gram flour doesn’t have darkening affect rather this is a natural bleach. However, when besan is mixed with Malai/cream, or if you cream alone it does darken the skin tone. It really does!!

The best combination for getting rid of blesmishes and tanning is curd+besan+coconut oil = amazing ubtan/paste.

Let me know what you think!

5. Pranali says

i’ve never heard this before..
    and besan doesn’t darken the skin. for some 15+yrs i used to use only besan to wash my face & i remember those being the best days for my skin.

i dont know about the darkening effect…but i use it as a body lotion right after bath. it leaves my dry skin very soft n supple . my doctor told me that coconut oil is great exfoliator

coconut oil is used by our ancestors years n years,its natural,highly affordale n use of cocnut oilin any form is not harmful to the skin,its amazing as a body lotion too

Please i really want to know if coconut oil would be great and not too harsh on chilren’s skin.Also does it brigten skin wen used? Thanx.

so good to see you comment on my comment!!!!!! you got great blog .keep it up. i use parachute oil.which one do you use? i have checked the oil cleansing method.planning to try this weekend`looks kind of elaborate….

hey swati guess what … i stumbled across a tip on how to make coconut oil at home while browsing the net! planning to prepare it at home!!!! check out on e how site….. there is you tube video also :)
    me still to use the oil cleaning method :( will do so asap

I m also suffering dark skin problem aroun my mouth, specialy on my chin… can u suggest any home remedy for this???

its basically some vitamin deficiency. apply potato juice or tomato juice on the dark skin everyday after cleansing your face, let it dry and wash off. moisturize. it should help. also, use sunscreen in the day!!

12. Ness says

Hate to disappoint anyone on here, but I’ve been using it for just three weeks and YES it has turned my skin noticeably darker. In the way it would usually go dark in the summer (it’s the middle of winter here in Britain and there’s no sun). Hence why I’m on google googling it and why I came across this thread. Don’t know why this is. But I’m about to find out…

I forgot to mention that the one that I use is organic extra virgin coconut oil. I don’t know if that makes any difference, but my skin does get darker and it’s not the sun that causes it.

I have been using coconut oil for about 2 years now. I use it as an all over moisturiser and I oil pull daily and take a teaspoon daily. My skin has a golden yellow glow? I never sun bake and always wear a hat outdoors and cover up. Although I love coconut oil my concern is that it could be too strong for my sensitive body? I’m very fair skinned. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi, I have been using coconut oil for about two years. I oil pull and I use it as an all over moisturiser. I’m very fair skinned. I always wear a hat and cover up in the sun but I have found that my skin has a definite yellow tinge to it. I love coconut oil and I quite like having this glow but I’m wondering is this healthy or could it be a problem? My family have noticed the change in my skin colouring.

• Anonymous says

a friend of mine, and she is very fair european , uses coconut oil, and her skin always the same ! I, and i am of african decent, used olive oil and only got darker! After i stopped using olive oil my complextion turned to normal. So i think it must be to do with sun exposure….

hey, thanks for letting us with this observation. yes, it is more to do with sun exposure than which oil is used but i guess there is too much conflict regarding this matter :)

16. kuldeep says

Hi I have started using coconut oil at night,Is it OK to apply before going bed,m using 100% virgin coconut oil,,,

17. Hannah says

Hi, i’m Nigerian, caramel-skinned :) …..i had acne issues(eczema to be precise), like little yellow patches on my face since i was 13….i’m now 17 still the same or even worse :( . I used cocnut oil for about 2 weeks, i noticed a change in my skin color, my face got flaky and really light, was scared cus it looked like the yellow patches had joined and thats what gave my face the light tone., my only skin color was around my eye circle, that was the only place that didnt turn light…so i then had two different colors on my face ;(
    It got dryer than before and oiler when i wake up in the morning. I also noticed my facial hair became more noticeable..although it made my lashes and eyebrow thicker and silkier….My face became more sensitive, even the tiniest pimple which didnt hurt on a regular basis began to hurt the more. Then i stopped using coconut oil and my skin is no more flaky and less sensitive than before and the light places seem to even out with the dark places.
    Now my question is this….
    1) i read in this thread that coconut oil doesnt affect facial hairs but why is it affecting mine?
    2) u also said that co restores the skin color….does that mean its restoring my complexion, cus i was light when i was a child
    3) how will i know if the eczema is gone since my face is blending with the color? its like i have a whole new skin
    4) the change of color of my face from dark to light, is it healthy, normal, or natural cus im a bit scared about the changes my face is passing through.
    5) my dad had eczema once, so im wondering if its hereditary cus my siblings have had it too
    6) is it infectious or contagious cus the pharmacist i went said that i could have infected my sister. She never had it but now she does. We share the same room, could i be the root to her problem?
    7) what other option is there for me to cure my eczema or should i just leave it to take over my face since thats what its already doing?
    Thanks. by the way nice post :)

18. anjali agrawal says

No if u use coconut oil daily after bath u’ll get a fairer skin n before going in sun apply good sunscream.

19. Patrick says

Coconut oil is a very interesting oil. While “bad” lipids soliditate at room tempature, this is quite the exception! Rich in vitamins and made by Mother herself, it’s no wonder our skins smiles. I have trial and errored many types of coconut oils for many years and get drastic results from each one. I found coconut oils that weren’t refined (virgin) and 100% organic under Quality Assurance International (QAI) and Oregon Tilth (NEVER USDA alone) showed the best results. I experienced moist, warm, smooth skin that’s rich in color – I call this a “billionaire glow”. While the refined in-organic coconut oils left my skin dry and itchy. This is caused by the traces of chlorine sill present in the oil after the bleaching and pasturization process; try to steer away from that.
    Just remember, your skin is ALIVE, treat it with respect and it will last forever.

20. dina says

my comment is so late :D but i was searching for more info about coconut oil and found this . i noticed they always recommend it before you go to bed and then woke up shower , so yeah the key is to use it in home and drs say going out with any kind of moisturizer or oil
    if it doesn’t work as sunscreen already then it will make your skin darker . but coconut oil is miracle really .

21. joe says

Anybody help me
    My skin is fairer but my skin gets darker during day time.can I prevent this permanently without using spf and suncreams

I’m fair.but when my skin is exposed to atmosphere it gets darker can this be prevented permanently without using SPF and suncreams

Hi Ashwini, that is because you have used salt and probably your skin is not oily or the salt scrub was extremely harsh which is why your skin has become a little raw. Do nothing for a few days and just apply aloe era gel straight from the plant. After a week, start applying potato juice at night after washing your face, let it dry and wash off. Follow with a good moisturiser. Slowly, it will be fine and then scrub your face occasionally with sugar. Your skin will be back to,life and do not forget to use sunscreen every single day in the morning before you go out in the sun.