Dare to Change : Learn a new Activity!!

Oh yes, I have let this series lie dormant for quite a while. I don’t know why but I got extremely lazy. I have been meaning to write this post since quite long but was never in that frame of mind. Because, this particular activity is both physically and emotionally challenging for the body.
I was ready for the physical but not emtional aspect of the post so we shall just skip it for now. Though, beware, I might write about that in the flow of the post :) Sometimes, when we bloggers write, we just forget what all we should put in words and write almost everything that comes to mind.
In fact, only a few nights back, I actually realized that I was WRITING. I mean how different is writing articles from blog posts??? I had always thought I hate writing and here I am confounded with that revelation which was always there in the deep recesses of my mind. Ok, I am digressing.
Ufff…see how we get carried away ๐Ÿ˜€ Anyways, that is human nature. We get carried away doing something and discover something else in the process which we absolutely fall in love with. So, its a good thing to learn a new activity.
It can be anything from the simple womanly accomplishments from the Victorian standards like knitting or stitching to the mannish activities of riding a bike (applies to both genders). You know many women have told me that riding a bike is a life-changing experience.
In fact, my professor always used to ask me if I knew knitting. Because, he used to draw analogies between knitting and programming. Well, yes, it sounds funny in the first hearing but its true that when you learn more and more things, you tend to see the patterns in everything.
And, those very patterns are things which you apply whenever you face problems in any area. There are books written on this topic (problem solving). So, that’s why you should learn new activities. It helps change perspectives, broaden the mind to various other aspects which you might have been blind to and look at things HOLISTICALLY, as my prof would say.
Well, I guess in the end, the post really became about more of emotional than the physical advantages of learning the activity. Anyways, these reasons are also good enough. Btw, I want leave you all with a question – Do you think running and walking are similar activities?
So, what do you think about learning a new thing everyday? And, don’t forget to answer the question asked in the end :)

Previous Dare to Change challenges:

Chuck gadgets away while walking

for me running is somethin u do whn u dnt want to face the situation, whereas walking is to to think abt somethin new or think whether its rt or wrong.

i want 2 learn a new thing everyday if given a chance it not only broadens yr knwldge but also in manys keep u busy.

2. Roshni says

Running and walking are different. You require a different mindset for each, a different level of strength and while they are both exercise, each achieves a different goal – walking can be just for pleasure, or for reaching a destination, while running is generally more for exercise, or a competition, or to challenge yourself.

I would love to learn a new thing everyday, but like they say in the Garnier shampoo ad .. “par, time kahan?” .. And things like riding a bike, knitting usually take quite long. So I guess I would keep a goal for myself like learning 10 new things in a year. If I even achieve that, I will be happy :)

hmmm…actually i think we are already learning something or the other everyday and secondly, one has to really take out time…in fact one of my friend is so active that she does a hell lot of work in one day and I am always like how did you ever get time to do all that??? its just upto us, i believe. 10 things a year is a good goal…so how many did you do this year???

• Roshni says

hmmm .. you are right about something everday without knowing. When you asked how many did you do this year, I started thinking and realized I had learnt so many little things!!! So basically anything new that we get to know (even if its not an activity that you learn) would qualify I guess :)

yup that’s what i meant but yes, i meant an activity in the post coz there are a lot of things which i really wanna do and I am just putting them off coz I am afraid or lazy instead of not finding time.

• Roshni says

Well .. there is one thing that I love and have never done due to lack of company or lack of time. I love dancing and have always wanted to learn some form of modern dancing (have learnt Bharatnatyam as a child for 5 years). Have atlast decided and convinced hubby also to join some dance classes in Jan 2013. Should be a good start to the new year!!! :)

• Roshni says

Nope he isnt .. :) .. the last time he danced was for our engagement ..and too cause it was “our” function, so he better be dancing ๐Ÿ˜€ .. Thats why am really excited that he has agreed to join dance classes.

• Roshni says

Sure .. will start searching for some good place to go in this month, so that we are ready to start in the new year. :)

3. Shoppingaholic says

I do want to learn new things everyday but I must confess that daily chores keep me so engrossed that I hardly get time. A Confession – in past, sometimes I wanted to stop blogging. But I realized that the blogging is what keeps me really happy, entertained and everything else. I read and learn new things. i get to know new people and I somehow communicate with some of them.

Shopping, Style and Us

hehe…not knitting but i do have an aptitude for stitching…honesty, you should see my mom…oh my god…she goes and searches out for work when she doesn’t have any!!! one day she will be stitching a fall for the saree, one day she will be painting a saree and one day she will be embroidering and that’s now when she does accept she is getting tired!!!