Diwali preparations??

that’s my collage of pics of Diwali in 2010

So, Diwali is right around the corner and I am super excited. This is my favorite-st festival of the year. I am not exactly preparing or anything. The suit I am gonna wear, I had bought it an year ago already ๐Ÿ˜€ Will definitely hunt if I get something better of course!! Girls will be girls, after all :)
Anyways, so what are your plans? Are you thinking about fire crackers? Or, an eco-friendly Diwali. Honestly, I would love to keep it noiseless and cracker-less but I love “anar” and this is the only time in the entire year to burn it so I don’t know if I really want to give it up.
But, yes, I do feel the guilt thinking about the sad children working in the cracker factories getting injured everyday and the amount of pollution we add to the environment in just a single day!! Ya, I know I am playing up on the guilt of all ๐Ÿ˜€
Oh yes, I also want to try my hand again at rangoli. Last year was the first time I actually made it!! It wasn’t that great but wasn’t bad either. I want to be better this time. Actually, spreading the rice flour with the fingers is not as easy as it looks!!
If you use a chalk piece, that’s easy enough. But, my mom use rice flour to sketch the lines. And, she also makes Lakshmi’s feet with the rice flour only, the paste mixed with water. I used to help my friend make them at her house coz my mom finishes all this even before I get up in the morning or evening ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Coral Crue says

I hope we all go green this diwali, please do not pollute the atmosphere, i got so ill during Dussera, it’s so hard to explain to those who are not asthmatic during festivals :(

true Coral…you are making me feel more and more guilty!!! I do hope I overcome the temptation!!!
      btw, why did you get ill on Dusshera??? were there firecrackers??? hope u doing fine now :)

2. Pranali says

i am cracker free for over 10yrs now..
    i love putting rangoli’s in diwali and decorating the house with lots of lights..

The last time I lit a cracker was in 1995 or 1996 maybe..
    reading about the kids working in these firecracker units is enough to stay away from them..Just recently in Tamil Nadu, there was a fire in one of the factories and it was horrible..
    Diwali is the festival of lights..but instead of actual light, we can bring some ‘sunshine’ into the lives of these poor and hardworking children!!

4. Roshni says

Hey Swati, me too love anar. But I havent lit a cracker in like 10 years now. This is because of my concerns for the environment and also for the tiny insects that die due to the heat from the crackers (I love all animals, birds and insects!!!). And if i want to see anars, well, there will be enough other people lighting them anyways :)

And I love doing rangolis. I do them every year. Though I can only do geometrical rangolis, the free hand ones are out of my skill set :D. Will try and send you a photo of the rangoli I do this year to you. Have a very happy Diwali!

hehe….yup, probably geometrical ones are easy but i had hard time trying out the rice flour outlining….i thought it to be so easy when i used to see my mom doing but when i did i was making curves like circles and straight lines were all tangent ๐Ÿ˜€ sure, do send :) i’ll also click mine if it comes out fine :)
      yup, i’ll also try to be happy seeing others ๐Ÿ˜€

hi for me diwali will be celerating with small children in NGO;i would want them to have yummy mithais,cakes,and laddus,with me,and burn a few crackers,which r not noisy,to avoid noise pollution,and ofcours at home with pujas,and rangolis,and few crackers,wish u ,swati a happy n safe diwali