Are you sold the fairness products by sales assistants? {Your Opinion}

When I went to watch Heroine, I also went to check out products at the H2O+ counter at Shopper’s Stop just like that to get some samples ๐Ÿ˜€ I did get samples but the guy was repeatedly selling me the whitening range of their products!!! I told him that I do not need any whitening products but still he continued with that. Its not the first time I had this kind of an encounter. Female assistants are even worse, in my opinion.
If they see any person with darker skin tone, they simply start selling the whitening products!!! To give credit to the guy I mentioned above, he did try to sell me the brightening products later on! Anyways, I have often noted that this is a trend everywhere. And, I don’t think its fault of the SA’s but the society on the whole as Indians are really and I mean REALLY obsessed with white skin.
I wanna clear a small misconception that many people have. Even many of the South Indians are in fact very fair and have flawless complexion, may be not as much as Kashmiris but definitely fair in a creamy complexion kind of a way. So, yes, those people are really proud of their complexion and often look for people with the same complexion. I have often noticed that North Indians often think that all Southies are dark but that’s not true at all. I’ll elaborate more on this theme later :)
Anyways, you tell me – do you get irritated by these whitening products unnecessarily thrusted upon you or you like to buy the fairness products?

Don’t forget to share your opinions on these posts:

Comments

1. Niesha says

most of the indians (we)are obsessed with white skin. Even in the matrimonials ads the fisrt word would be “fair” which is not at all fair.

2. Pranali says

this country is obsessed with getting fair.and i second neisha, the matrimonial ads are the best eg to prove this.they always want the brides to be fair (even if the guy is a complete dork). the fair and lovely ad is what irritates me the most.it feels like the model has implanted LED lights under her skin.

3. Pranali says

4. Pranali says

hi swati ppl in india are always obsessed with white if a girl is a bit wheatish they start worrying from childhood who will marry her we need to give so much dowry bcz she is dark stufff….. if even the features are gud they want color.

well tats how they are , i need to ask you what to apply for frizz hair like whn u dont take a shower i mean wht serum or mousse is gud and available in india

i was thinking of buyin dove/garnier but i want to knw yr views first
    thnks in advance and waiting eagerly for yr reply

hey Fatima…well, thank god that my parents didn’t worry about my wheatish complexion but yes, many people have!!! I totally hate them all.
      hmmm…regarding the frizz, honestly, I don’t like to use any serums or anything but the dove nourishing oil was decent for my hair. that’s the only serum I have liked till date. and, have you sent me any mail??? asking coz I am not checking my inbox these days!!!

My blood boils every time I see these fair and lovely ads! How ridiculous can one get? They demean not just women but men too.
    Honestly speaking, I was going through a phase where I really wasn’t happy with my skin colour. But then I realized what is inside is what counts. It took me sometime but I got there.
    I feel like writing so much more on this but then I might take up the entire column:-)

so true Shruti…now fair and handsome??? seriously?? I would rather prefer my guy to be dark than use these!!! let it be the domain of women only…men using cosmetics beyond the normal do not really sit well ๐Ÿ˜€
      haha…you should actually write up a post then coz I am really not able to write that thing that how I came to the realization!!!

7. gautami tripathy says

I know the feeling. Salespersons try to sell me fairness products. I have a dark skin tone and proud of it. I tell them that if they don’t like my skin tone than that is their problem, not mine.

Come to think of it, your post too smacks of colour discrimination or you wouldn’t have justified by saying south Indians too have fairer skin tones. Did you need to do that?

hey Gautami…yeah, there is nothing to be not proud of having dark skin tone!!! it is not in our hands of course.

haha, no, I didn’t write it in the racist terms…I wanted to let people know that coz I have lived all my life in North and I have faced a lot of prejudice just on the basis that all southies are dark but its not true…i just wanted to clarify that all colors exist everywhere. in fact, i had written it with completely different intentions but guess it got mixed up!!!

yes i did well how are u and i was in need it for my sisters as she is going for a wedding and she wants to make her hair look nice and smooth and silky

Hi swati I have pimples all over my face and sun burn even dark spots too please how can I get rid of them please help me. Thanks.

hi. first, you need to use sunscreen regularly to avoid sun burns and preferably cover your face whenever you go out. also, avoid going out during 11-4 in the afternoon times.
      regd. the pimples, do try out the garnier pore unclogging face wash. i am pretty sure it will help you. also, wash your face with salt water so that the minerals help with the pimples. and, use a good hydrating mositurizer. also, use ginger juice on the pimples as spot treatment, let it dry and wash off.