How do I use a toner? {Skin Care}

Toners at Perfect Skin Care for you
Toner is a product which has been under constant attack by everyone saying it is a useless step and doesn’t really do anything for skin. But, you might have checked out my many DIY toners. So, yes, I do use a toner on and off and since face mists have hit the market, they have been favorites with every gal. So, I wanted to share a tip today. Using a toner regular can improve the hydration levels of the skin. And, for that, you need not go any far.
What toner do I use?
A simple rose water is enough to do the job. Or, green tea as well. I had also prepared a toner with essential oils which I had shared here. Frankly, I have used only one commercially available spritzer otherwise all my toners are DIY’s. They are inexpensive and also I can play with them as I want.
How do I use the toner?
I store my toners in spray bottles and try to use them both morning and night but generally, I miss them in the mornings!!! I collect the toner in my palm by spraying 5-8 pumps and rub the palms and apply the toner on my face and neck. No, generally, I don’t spill the product.
Results
Whenever I apply the toner on my face and then, follow immediately with facial oils, I have always noticed that the products get absorbed super fast and also leave a very dewy look. Also, the amount of moisturizer / oil required is less comparatively to when skin is not dewy. And, if you use green tea as a toner, it also helps with breakouts and acne!!
My skin is more hydrated and supple and if I miss toner 2-3 days continuously in a row, my skin goes dull again :( So, I am working on making ‘applying toner’ a very religious affair. Do give this tip a try and lemme know how it goes for you :)

Comments

1. makeup and beauty by prayati says

thats a really informative post….i use dabur gulabari’s face freshener as a toner…

2. Divine Blush says

Good post.. i have a query.. after cleansing the face i use to apply toner..then directly can we apply moisturizer??? or do we have to wipe the toner in the face using a cotton and then apply moisturizer..

oh yeah, good point…Divya :) forgot to mention about that. no, you do not need to wipe it off. just let it get absorbed into the skin ad then follow with moisturiser :)

3. Tanmayee says

I use patanjali rose water, sparay it on my face with a spray bottle…..nice tip !! CTM is a must in my daily skin care …….

4. Shalini Srivastava says

Love the tips. I too use rose water… I feel so clean & fresh and yes it does make a whole lot of difference

5. Krishna Patel says

I tried the rose water toner but it dried out my skin :( so then i tried the tea tree toner from Lush and its absolutely amazing. It also kills bacteria so it helps people with acne so i really love that one :)

yeah, adding some of the essential oils is absolutely great for skin!!! even the roman water or something smells awesome from lush but too expensive πŸ˜€

6. Lancy says

Informative post swatz.. As you said rose water is enough for me πŸ˜€ After a day out in sun, it really calms down and relaxes my skin! I crush basil leaves and put into the rose water.. Store it in a spray bottle and refrigerate! This is my after sun skin tonic πŸ˜€
    Makeup and Beauty Home

you should definitely try out green tea as a toner. it helps with oily and acne prone skin. after drinking green tea, use the remaining tea leaves to prepare left-over tea and use it as a final rinse after washing your face. or just like you would use a toner. preparing it fresh every time is a great idea but if you want, you can store in fridge for two days. put it in a spray bottle and use it for two days. refill it again with fresh one :) hope this helps :)

• Anonymous says

hi swati,
      i just wanted to ask you that which green tea are you consuming… coz i have been buying some but i dint like those at all… i have tried all expensive n cheap ones… but not liking any..
      my mom used to use one that my dad brought from china, which i used to love, those small rolls of tea tree… but i m not finding them in india…
      Please suggest some good green tea…
      Thanks
      Keya

• Anonymous says

Hi Swati! Just discovered your blog. Good job!
      I want to make the green tea toner with fresh tea bags. It sounds nice!
      But will it last only two days? How long do you think I can store it? Will it harm my skin if used after 2 days?

thanks a lot for the kind words :)

at max you can store it for a week and not more than that and you would have to preserve in the refrigerator. no, it will not harm the skin but if it goes bad, it will not really do you any good. it will start decomposing.

Is Der any gud natural product to get rid of Pimple n scars …pls help me ..ma marriage is on march I want to get ma skin clear before dat..

Hi Swati I love your articles they are so informative I loved your orange peel uses and benefits and Now rose leaves is also very informative. I don’t use soap daily but I use a mixture of wheat flour besan multani mitti chandan haldi on my skin as soap. Sometimes I add milk malai rose water lemon juice a few drops curd juices of potato kheera and tomato and exfoliate may be once in 10 days or 15 days or before going somewhere For ages I have been wanting to use dried powder of orange peels which I wanted to mix in with the mixture that I use but was not sure if orange shud be used daily as it is acidic in nature just as lemon shud not be used daily but after reading that it is mildly acidic I have mixed just 2 spoons in a lot of mixture. and I nevr use it as pack but use it as soap to clean it daily on my whole body not just face. But once in a while I do use soap πŸ˜€

Swati need your advise here please.
    Can you please tell me if I can also mix powder of dried leaves of tulsi and Rose (Indian rose desi gulab it has more fragrance and is considered the best ) this is offered in temples to gods. Do you think rose and tulsi leaves and petals wud have the qualities in dried leaves as it is alwys not possible to get those ready. Though I can manage it sometimes but not daily that is why I want to power the dry leaves of both and mix with the bathing mixture.

I just want to inform about benefit of band gobhy cabbage if a few leaves of cabbage is boiled and after it has cooled then face shud be washed with this water the face gets instant glow and it looks so bright that even make is not needed I do not use make up at all except for kajal This is what we all do before going to get instant glow.

If tomato juice is mixed with curd and applied and left for 20 – 30 mts this also gives instant glow

kheera also can be mixed for skin looks fresh

natural bleech very very effective apply juice of potato and then see the magic it instantly removes tan and blackness from the skin I regularly apply it on my arms and face with the mixture and i get what I want

Hope people wud try this and get the benefits of all that mother nature has gifted us.

Thanks for the lovely inforamtion. Look forward to hear from you.

hi Monica…thanks for the detailed comment. it was very inspiring to do all those home remedies however time taking and messy they might be :)
      regd your query, yes you can use the dried petals of tulsi and rose. just make sure they are not dried in the sun directly. dry them in shade for about a week and powder them. make sure you do not dry them in humid atmosphere either :)

Patanjali’s kanti lape is damn good and removes acne completely and your skin is smooth clear of blemishes and glowing.

You can use it daily over night or atleast till four hours but otherwise twice a week is also good but overnight My sister had a lot of acne now she applies it twice a week overnight and rest of the days she applies on the acnes only if they are there.

Even I tried once I loved the glow but then I am daily using flours of several products and my skin glows naturally. So it did not make much difference to me. It costs just 60 rs not at all expensive easily can be affordable.

I have been using patanjali’s many products right from the begining and cannot do without them they are the best from beauty cream to shampoo from their flour to masalas I love it all My sisters daughter also uses rose water to wash her face daily after coming from College. She finds it very refreshing.

But best I find that I am helping generating employment in our country and getting all the benefits from mother nature. Thanks to baba ramdevji :-)

Swati need your advise here please.

kheera also can be mixed for skin looks fresh

Thanks for the lovely inforamtion. Look forward to hear from you.

Hi, I’m new to all this face care stuff and I just recently bought a toner. Is it okay to skip the Moisturizing part after applying the Toner? My skin type has lots of moisture so I think I don’t need it but I can’t be sure since all of this is new.

hello..
    can i use toner without wipe it with cotton, i means apply the toner on my face and let it dry just like that.

13. Swathi says

Hi Swathi,

Really I love the way you ate maintaining article a lot. Hats off for your patiency to give the replies as well.
    I am having dry and sensitive skin with little acne. So nights I will cleanse my face with pure milk and then I am applying dauber rosewater. I want to know is milk is fine for cleansing? if not which product suits my skin type.
    Dabur rose water is fine? and applying moisturiser is must after toning? if I have to apply moisturiser which one will suit for me? Please feel free to suggest me.
    Thanks !!!

hey Pragya. i would say you can do both of the things. the days you have exfoliated your face, apply the toner using your palms on the face and other days, you can wipe with cotton ball. the whole idea is when you apply using cotton balls, the cotton ball being a little abrasive exfoliates the face as well.

Hi..swati.. ur blogs r realy gud…have some doubts…
    is medicated Emolene creme a gud moisturiser? cn it b usd sftr using toner?
    n after using moisturiser, aftr how long make up cn b done on face?
    n is it ok if i wash face vt face wash n directly apply makeup afr dryng skin vtout aplyng any toner?

HI Swati,
    I observed my face having open pores recently n dey r clearly visible…mine is oily skin
    1)how can I use a toner for the best result
    2)can I use it on daily basis…like wash my face..apply toner…apply rose water(generally I apply daily) and den go for a face cream?

16. aira says

Hi……i am 23 yrs old having normal skin tone till now not finded a cream or moisturizer for me…can u plz help me……

do not use lemon juice. instead go for tomato juice and yes you can use this everyday but after you return from office / college in the evening, this is not enough so use a face wash to get rid of the pollution. use this in the morning to cleanse your face. and, no do not use soap after using this. it itself acts like soap. hope this helps :)

17. alekhya says

i have oily skin……..
    can we apply our daily face creams and powders after my ctm routine??????

hi Alekhya. yes, but use hydrating serums instead of rich creams. Vichy and H2O has good products if budget is not a problem!!

18. serena says

I too had oily skin i was worried about what to use then i got solution from your site .That is working.

hi Preeti. I think that might be a little too much even if you have oily skin. first of all, what do you do? working in an air-conditioner environment, normal environment, student, traveling job? your skin care depends on what your lifestyle is and you must apply sunscreen in the morning even if you have oily skin and stay at home. sheisido or dry touch sunscreens in various brands are good and can be tried out. and, once you apply sunscreen, it is best not to touch up often. if you sweat a lot, you could use a tissue to just absorb. even wiping off with toner would not actually solve the issue. and, excess oil does not mean it is dirty, just absorb it with tissue and give your skin a thorough cleanse in the evening. what you need to work on is using products which will reduce your oil production. one very good product I can recommend is grapeseed oil. it brightens skin and controls oil. but, make sure you use sunscreen with it. i hope this helps a little :)

hi Rinki. after a toner, you just apply moisturizer, no matter what brand. you do not have to wash your face. if the product is getting too sticky, I would suggest changing your rose water as gulabari is not really natural. go for other brands like Kama.