Dark and Dull Skin in summers {Reader’s Query}

“My age is 25, female. Suddenly my skin become dark in face and arms even though I’m not going in sun. Dark circles are coming. Face become dull. Please tel some treatment. Thanks.”

Dark and dull skin is a very normal occurrence in summers. Dark circles are a different issue on a other hand.
Diet
I have long before mentioned that if you ever find your skin getting uneven complexioned, iron deficiency can be one of the foremost reasons. Also, dark circles are an indication of iron levels in your body. So, if you are not sleep deprived or stressed out, this is the reason for those unwelcome dark circles. Try eating a balanced diet.
Dull and Dark Skin
Dehydrated or oily skin can also look dark. So, keep your skin supple, hydrated and oil-free at all times. Use a good moisturiser to preserve the skin moisture. Using face sprays is also a good way to perk up your skin in intervals. You can prepare one at home as well. Eat foods which will keep your skin hydrated from the inside and drink enough water.
Tips to remove tan
Tomato, cucumber and potato are great for tan removal. You can check out other home remedies for summers here. If used at night, they help in removing tan as well as keeping the skin in supple condition.
Tanning without sun
UVA rays can penetrate indoors as well and UVA rays are the main cause of pigmentation. So, using spf 15 broad-spectrum sunscreen when indoors is a good measure of protection against these rays and tanning and pigmentation when inside.
Product Recommendation
  • Lactocalamine for sun protection when indoors
  • Rustic Art Aloevera Gel for improving hydration levels of the skin. Use it only at night as a night cream as it contains lemon extracts.
What else do you suggest?

Comments

hi swati i dnt knw y i have been gettin these weird pimples. i didnt have so many pimples so many pimples in my entire life. i am using neem face pack , cinammon and honey but nothin is wrokin even lacto calamine, neem oil

something in your diet is probably not agreeing with you…did you start a new medication or any new product???
      take a slice of tomato and use it on the pimples daily…I think that will help and use turmeric on the pimples at night mixed with water. do let me know how it goes :)

hi, swati my face skin was very dull .. i try to gramflour tomato sandalwood honey milk papaya pack..no use how to fresh my face daily… plzz help me on tips

oh yes, most definitely!!! I had acne when i was stressed out. drink a lot of green tea now a days to combat harmful effects of stress. and, do a relaxing yoga for 15-20 minutes daily. it helps a lot :) and, stop worrying about pimples. they will go away.

u r rt may be i just need to relax i even apply tat tomato slice with turmeric and by next morning i still have them. may b its stress

i even consulted my dermo she says they are just bcz of sweat any how thnks take care

do you sweat a lot??? do you go out in sun a lot??? coz, I sweat horribly outside in sun!!! even, my sunscreen gets washed off!!! yes, sweat can also be one of the reasons….do you wash your face after coming back home and apply ice cubes or aloevera??? do that as after-sun protection…that will help. and, drink green tea. its damn good for acne. also, wash your face daily with green tea after cleansing it thoroughly. that will help.

2. Budget Belleza says

Nice post and well in time..I’m getting tanned like anything these days:(
    Can u suggest a good and budget friendly sun block?

if you don’t mind spending around 500, I would definitely say neutrogena as it is the best I have used till date.
      lotus sun screens are also good but they have becomes equally expensive. you can check out neutrogena 30ml one @ 150 bucks around. the new lakme sun safe range is also getting good reviews. hope this helps :)

• Anonymous says

Hi swati, I hv used neutrogena sunscreen trust me I starded Luking dark whenever I used it. infact I m scared of using sunscreen because I luk noticeably dark n dull. wot to do

3. HnB says

invest in a good sunscreen and also keep some rose water handy.. apply it whenever u feel u look dull.. this will refresh ur skin n mood immediately…

if u have normal or dry skin.. apply oatmeal+yoghurt face pack once or twice a week… this nourishes the skin and also has lightening properties…

4. Preeti says

I have a question on rustic art aloe Vera gel. It contains lemon. Isn’t it a fact tat putting lemon on your face and going out will make you more tan?
    I have used the following home remedy for brightening face.
    Honey, curd, lime juice few drops, green gram, little Kasturi turmeric and a bit of almond oil. This works wonders. Try it

hey preeti…good point!!! I forgot to mention to use only at nights…will clarify that right away :)
      oh wow…thanks for the tip!!! will definitely check it out.

i have pigmentation around my lips and i m upset for this cn u help me????? i will be grateful to u. thnx

hi..
    my skin is very sensitive and pimple prone. Though I am using sunscreen but don’t know why it has became very much darker.. I am really very worried. And more over acne spots n scars 0are there on my face.. My skin is oily n I m 30 yrs old. Can u pls suggest me effectivem home remedies asap and pls let me know how often should I use that.

firstly, are you using a good sunscreen? and, the amount of sunscreen you use also matters and also if you are outside in sun from 10-4 even after applying sunscreen, nothing can prevent tanning. there are many other reasons why skin can turn dark suddenly like are you low on iron???
      use potato for acne scars. rub a slice of potato on the face and neck daily at night. it will help but do it daily for a month. hope this helps :)

Hi Swathi,

I have a very oily. At the same time when i try to treat it, sometimes it becomes dry. Skin looks very dull.I have read that moisturizer is a must.But since my skin is very oily if i use any moisturizer get pimples.

Please suggest me some good water based moisturizer. My skin is very sensitive too. So plz suggest some good ones which suits my skin…

hello swati
    well am 22 male, i used to have not to say a fair complexion but light brown complexion, but over the years my skin has considerably darken. when my friend look at my old picture, they say is that u!!! am very exposed to the sun everyday,i believe zat z cause,, i want to get back to my natural color.is zat possible or its too late? wat urecommend me to do.?

hello swati
    i actually had not to say a fair complexion but rather a light brown complexion, but over the years it has really darken and am only 22 male. i believe my exposure to the sun have caused zat. i really want to get back to my natural complexion. is zat possible or its too late?wat u recommend me?

Hi my skin is dark and i.have small small pimples all over my face my skn is oily and dull.can you plz suggest any.good home remedy that will really work to make my face fair bright and pimple free .plz help i consulted a doctor but nothing has helped till now….

11. Rahul says

when i will going somewhere in sunlight my face became dark and dull after that i will wash my face but nothing will work pls tell me some medicine for it thanks.

12. Abdullah says

Hi,
    Looking at the comments above it seems that you are the right person to discuss my problem. Actually it happens every summer that my face and neck which is exposed to sunlight becomes dull and dark. More concerning thing is that previously I rubbed strawberry at my face sort of a natural scrub type thing, but it did made my skin glow maybe for the time being. Now when I have stopped doing that my skin is dull dark and even I have pimples on my cheeks. So please tell me something that is natural and I will be in great gratitude if my face colour is somehow regained to my body colour.

Thanks,
    Abdullah Dodhy

Hi,

Thanks,
    Abdullah Dodhy

Hello swati i was 18 years old and i was suffering from suntone.when i will go outside in sunlight my face,neck and arms became dull and dark black please tell me the best thing to remove this.

15. himani says

My problem is that i have slim face and it get dull n somehow brown ehen i have sweating .. Plz suggest me what to do

16. nini says

hi swati i hve oily n breakedout skin toooo much dull n poredd skin plz tell me can i use honey n aloevera as under eyecreme .n plz tell me natural toner n mosturizer for my oily skin.age is 38

do not use aloevera as it is drying. also, if you are using honey, just use it as an eye mask. use almond oil instead, just a drop on each eye and pat the oil gently till it absorbs. it will not break you out, do not worry!

17. Khan says

Hi, dear swati.
    With due respect could you suggest me about my skin. I have dull skin below the eyes till the nose corners which seems very bad during day time and less exposed when sun goes out. i have itching problem too, in the jaws area, neck, back and chest area. Kindly, suggest me what should I do to overcome such problems.

Regards,

18. Neha Dhuri says

My skin gets dark if i apply anything on my skin like moisturizer, foundation or even sunscreen.. it gets dark as if i hav tanned my skin by staying under sun for years.. i am already in a warm skin tone.. please suggest me something… i have noticed my starts getting dark after i apply anything on my skin when i sweat.. is it related of clogging pores?? I dont know much about it.. please help..

19. neha chauhan says

Hi,
    From last few days i have started yoga and suddenly my colour of skin is changing its becoming black. I just dnt get the reason for the same .

hi Neha. I am sure it has nothing to do with yoga. drink a lot of water and eat well. you will be fine and yes do not forget sunscreen.

20. pritesh says

Swati mam please help… when I goes out in the my skin gets totally dark.. I use spf25 but it doesnot effect me at all.
    Please heap man..I have so many pimples on my face… and burn scars